Home :: Become a Travel Writer :: Writer's Guidelines
Guest Posting on Women on the Road
Are you a travel blogger? Now accepting guest posts from travel bloggers only!
PLEASE NOTE: These guidelines are for travel bloggers only. If you are a traveler who would like to share her story, please go here. If you are a business trying to place a guest post, a sponsored post or something commercial, please contact me directly.
Women on the Road is a great showcase for your travel writing talents, with thousands of women visitors a day ready to read you.
What is Women on the Road?
Women on the Road is one of the original women's travel websites. It all started with an email newsletter in 1996 and by the end of 2006 this website was finally born - for women who travel smart, safe and solo, who are respectful and curious, who want to discover the world on their own terms and leave their preconceived ideas behind.
What's in it for YOU?
- Two strong do-follow links back to your own blog or site, one in the text and one in your bio.
- Promotion through the various social media channels managed by Women on the Road.
- Promotion in Women on the Road NEWS, the monthly newsletter with more than 10,000 subscribers.
- Association with a respected, mature PR5 travel website with a DA 42 and PA51.
- Sorry but this is a one-woman show and much as I would love to, I can't pay...
Here's what I'm looking for
Destination posts, written through a female lens and containing practical destination-related advice for the smart and independent female reader, written in your voice.
- why women should visit this particular place
- how safe it is
- special woman-friendly venues
- etiquette or cultural norms women should be aware of
- culture, history, food (my personal bias)
- anything that might be particular interest to women...
Not sure your idea fits the bill? Please ask!
What NOT to submit
- No Wikipedia: no list of sights that can be found a click away.
- No how-to pieces as in 'how to travel safely' or 'how to pack'. I have plenty. Any advice must be part of a broader destination article, as in "most of the city is perfectly safe but solo women might think twice before wandering through these neighborhoods at night..." Important information, not found in general destination pieces.
- No submissions about group, family or couples travel.
- No rants - be factual. If you had a terrible experience, by all means mention it, but don't color your entire piece with negativity, as in "why I hated X country". We all have different experiences and see things from different perspectives.
- No poetry, book excerpts, and nothing that has been published elsewhere - original work only.
- No affiliate links in your story.
How to submit your articles/posts
Pitch first - tell me a bit about yourself, what you want to write about, and we'll take it from there. I'm looking for diversity at every level, and am also making sure I'm not drowning in a specific destination while ignoring others.
Once we've agreed...
- Photos: Please include 3-4 of your own photos or photos to which you have the rights. (Submitting photos presupposes you have taken, bought or otherwise secured the legal right to use that photograph from the author or representative). Photos should be 800px wide with captions. If you don't have your own photos, please source them (only photos you have permission to use, please) and send links, including links to relevant licences. Please send photos as attachments, not pasted into an email.
- Length: posts/articles should be 800 words at a minimum - normally stories run around 800-1200 words. Give the story what it's worth. The better the writing, the more it can sustain a longer story.
- Don't forget two sentences for your bio and your two links.
NOTE: The best guarantee of publication is relevance (woman-centered), need (that's why I ask you to check with me first) and good writing.
Have you got the perfect piece? Let's find out...