Home :: Become a Travel Writer :: Writer's Guidelines
Guest Posting on Women on the Road
Are you a blogger? Now accepting guest posts!
Women on the Road is a great showcase for your travel writing talents, with thousands of women readers a day ready to read you.
Please Note: Guest posts do NOT include sponsored posts, advertorials or commercial articles. Thank you.
What is Women on the Road?
Women on the Road is one of the original women's travel websites. It all started with an email newsletter in 1996 and by the end of 2006 this website was born - for women who travel smart, safe and solo, who are respectful and curious, who want to discover the world on their own terms and leave their preconceived ideas behind.
Here's what's on offer
- A strong do-follow link back to your own blog or site in your bio.
- Promotion through the various social media channels managed by Women on the Road.
- Promotion in Women on the Road NEWS, the monthly ezine with more than 10,000 subscribers!
- Association with a respected, mature PR5 travel website with a DA 46.
- Sorry but this is a one-woman show and much as I would love to, I can't pay...
Here's what's needed: destination posts
All stories should be written through a female lens. When possible, please include destination-related practical advice for solo women, things like...
- why they should visit this particular place
- how safe it is
- special woman-friendly venues
- etiquette or cultural norms women should be aware of
- culture, history, food (my personal bias)
- things that might be particular interest to women...
In other words, a destination piece clearly angled towards the smart and independent female reader, written in your voice.
Not sure if your idea fits the bill? Just ask!
What NOT to submit
- No Wikipedia: no list of sights that can be found a click away.
- No how-to pieces as in 'how to travel safely', please. Any advice must be part of a broader destination article, as in "most of the city is perfectly safe but solo women might think twice before wandering through these neighborhoods at night..." Important information, not found in general destination pieces.
- No stories about group travel, cruises or family or couples travel.
- No rants - be factual. If you had a terrible experience, by all means mention it, but don't color your entire piece with negativity, as in "why I hated X country". We all have different experiences and see things from different perspectives.
- No poetry, book excerpts, and nothing that has been published elsewhere - original work only.
- No affiliate links in your story.
How to submit your articles/posts
Pitch first - tell me a bit about yourself, what you want to write about, and we'll take it from there. I'm looking for diversity at every level, and am also making sure I'm not drowning in a specific destination while ignoring others.
Once we've agreed...
- Photos: Please include 3-4 of your own photos . or photos to which you have the rights. (Submitting photos presupposes you have taken, bought or otherwise secured the legal right to use that photograph from the author or representative). Photos should be 800px wide, with captions. Please send them as attachments, not pasted into an email.
- Length: posts/articles should be 600 words at a minimum. Give the story what it's worth. The better the writing, the more it can sustain a longer story.
- Don't forget two sentences for your bio and your link.
NOTE: The best guarantee of publication is relevance (woman-centered), need (that's why I ask you to check with me first) and good writing.
Have you got the perfect piece?